initramfs being created without udev

Hello,

Right now, when I create a new CD, I get the following errors when
trying to boot from it:

-------
/init: line 174:  /lib/udev/path_id: not found
init: line 174:  /lib/udev/cdrom_id: not found
-------

These lines are repeated a couple of times, and then I am dumped into BusyBox.
Cursory investigation seems to indicate that udev is missing from the initramfs.
One of the more recent submissions to the live-initramfs git by Daniel
seems to fix that, but I still don't have the disk space to rebuild it
myself.

Is there another way to work around that issue? And more generally: Is
there a good way to add additional  software and other customizations
to the initramfs?

Thanks,
 --Juergen