uloop integration [Was: running livecd from a hd without installing it]

El Sunday 18 May 2008 09:33:54 v?reu escriure:
> Sorry for the delay... I must say: Great idea!
> uloop sounds very interesting, and it can help implement cool features many
> of us wanted (other than HD boot).
> I read the thread on aufs list, and it seems that you've managed to boot
> debian-live with "ulooped" device.

Hello Hadar and list,

Yes, it works, in the case that the computer has a good capacity of RAM memory
or hard disk,
I have done the first tests with a tmpfs filesystem, the cache is created in
RAM.
I have tested the following cases:
- Desktop computers with fast hard disk and good memory.
with Debian Live installed in a hard disk partition, In these uloop does not
contribute a significant change.
- average or low range laptop computers.
with Debian Live installed in a hard disk partition, in these the hard disk is
slower and if they have at least 2 GB of RAM, the performance improves
enough,
- Flash USB memories, using them on computers with at least 2 GB of
RAM, the performance improves a lot,

> Can you please post the necessary steps in order to do that? (And the
> patches)

The patches are a matter of some modifications in the programs of uloop and
besides, the most dificult part is my own version of the package
live-initramfs (referring to the amount of work that implies to adopt it).
To make the change to my new live-initramfs because changing to it requires to
write personalized parameters in the file live.conf and probably to change
the scripts that you have developed or personalized in the standard package
live-initramfs.

If you, or others, are decided to give it a try, I will prepare that files to
post them,
let me know,

P.D. by now my live-initramfs has a problem with the new version of Busybox
and is mandatory to use the previous release of the Busybox package,

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-live-devel/2008-May/003723.html

> It will make more people interested, and hopefully integrated in debian
> live

Today a well prepared Debian Live OS is powerful, resistant and the fastest in
the world.
We should do actions to bring to light and so that everyone use it.

Best Regards,

Jordi Pujol