Using customized kernels

I am trying to follow the instructions on

   http://www.hardbop200.com/build-a-custom-kernel-for-debian-live/

for building a new kernel. But I fails to build the squashfs module on
my debian stable machine. I tried to use "--chroot-filesystem ext3"
thinking that I would not need the squashfs module but the root system
fails to mount (I used "--bootloader grub" also).

So how do I build a kernel 2.6.19-2.6.23 on a stable machine? My goal
is to apply the RTAI patches to it and use the debian live image for a
RTAI system. So if anybodya already have done that and have some
pointers or tips I would appreciate them.

--
/Tommy Persson