Persistency

I have read on the Wiki but really do not see the best way to
configure things.

If I put debian live on a compact flash or USB memory I assume I
should not write on it to often. If I use persistency and root
persistency (a casper-rw partition) does that mean that if if write in
/tmp or /var or /etc then data is written directly in the casper-rw
partition?

What I think I would like to have is a command to run so that the
persistent state is only saved when I run the command. Is that
possible and how should I setup things for that to work?

--
/Tommy Persson