live-initramfs issue, I think

Hi!

I am trying to create a sid based live CD using live-helper 1.0~a41-1.
The ISO file is created without a problem, but when I try to run the
system (in qemu and burnt to a CD), I get errors that seem to indicate
that the scripts in the initramfs can't find important binaries:

-----
[...]
/init: line 11 mount: not found
/init: line 12 mount: not found
/init: line 20 mount: not found
/init: line 22 mknod: not found
cat: can't open '/proc/cmdline': No such file or directory
cat: can't open '/proc/cmdline': No such file or directory
/scripts/init-top/framebuffer: line 97: mknod: not found
/scripts/init-top/framebuffer: line 100: mknod: not found
/scripts/init-top/framebuffer: line 100: mknod: not found
[...]
-----

It goes on in that style for a while and eventually dumps me into
BusyBox. There, I can see (and run) the binaries in question in /bin,
but even an 'PATH=/bin /init' gives a similar output. The interesting
difference is the following right after the complaint about the
missing mknod in line 22 of /init:

-----
mkdir: cannot create directory '/dev/.initramfs': File exists'
-----

So it can find mkdir, but not mknod, even though they are both in the
same directory?
I am rather lost. Does anybody know what may be going on here?

Thanks,
Juergen