net-root-path?

I'm trying to get a live-helper created CD to netboot copies of
itself, similar to what the Knoppix terminalserver does. I tried
making a netboot image with the --net-root-path="/live/image", and
/live/image is NFS exported from the Debian Live instance that is
operating as the server.  When the client is PXE booting, all (dhcp,
tftp boot, etc.) goes well until I get the error message: VFS: cannot
open a root device... Please append a correct "root=" option. If
anyone has experience with this, I could use some help.
Thanks, Michael