live helper in Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) ?

> Steven Shiau wrote:
>> I am trying to use live helper in Ubuntu 7.10 to create Ubuntu live.
>
> live-helper in ubuntu is unsupported. please upgrade to the package
> present in debian sid (just shell scripts, no dependency problems).
Thank you. I tested the live helper from sid (live-helper_1.0~a37-2)  in
Ubuntu 7.10 by running this:
----
mirror_url="http://free.nchc.org.tw/ubuntu";
mirror_security_url="http://free.nchc.org.tw/ubuntu";
lh_config --sections "main restricted universe multiverse"
lh_config --mirror-binary $mirror_url --mirror-binary-security
$mirror_security_url --mirror-bootstrap $mirror_url
--mirror-bootstrap-security $mirror_security_url
lh_config --distribution gutsy --initramfs live-initramfs
lh_build
----
It does not work in Ubuntu 7.10. it failed in:
1.
Err http://free.nchc.org.tw gutsy/updates/main Packages
  404 Not Found
Err http://free.nchc.org.tw gutsy/updates/restricted Packages
  404 Not Found
Hit http://free.nchc.org.tw gutsy/main Packages
Hit http://free.nchc.org.tw gutsy/restricted Packages
Hit http://free.nchc.org.tw gutsy/universe Packages
Hit http://free.nchc.org.tw gutsy/multiverse Packages
Err http://free.nchc.org.tw gutsy/updates/universe Packages
  404 Not Found
Err http://free.nchc.org.tw gutsy/updates/multiverse Packages
  404 Not Found
Fetched 1B in 1s (1B/s)
Reading package lists... Done

2. Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
"linux-image-2.6-486"
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
"aufs-modules-2.6-486"Couldn't find any package whose name or
description matched "squashfs-modules-2.6-486"

Therefore I think live-helper does not support Ubuntu by default. right ?

>> The casper version is 1.110.
>
> casper is unsupported, please upgrade to the live-initramfs package
> present in debian sid (just shell scripts, no dependency problems).
>
>> So no more /live_media ? Looks like the boot media is mounted in /cdrom,
>> and "df -h" does not report, and nor does "mount" report. IMHO,
>> /live_media is a better name than /cdrom.
>
> this is casper. in live-initramfs, we use /live/image.
>
>> create Etch live, it's still using the name "/live_media".
>
> official etch (without backports that is) uses casper.
>
> however, i recommend you build images from lenny with current
> live-helper/live-initramfs versions.

I did same test in Debian etch, however I got another problem, the
/sbin/start-stop-deamon in the created iso is just "#/bin/bash". In the
past, I can restore it by " apt-get -y --purge remove
cdebootstrap-helper-diverts". However, now live helper said
cdebootstrap-helper-diverts not installed. I realized it's removed by
lh_bootstrap_cdebootstrap. So the question is, if I need the real
/sbin/start-stop-daemon in created iso, how can I make it ?
Thanks in advance.

Steven.
--
Steven Shiau <steven _at_ nchc org tw> <steven _at_ stevenshiau org>
National Center for High-performance Computing, Taiwan.