USB system with modified kernel and minimal software

Justin and Ben, thanks for your comments!

>> lh_config -d etch -b usb-hdd -p minimal --linux-packages "none"
>> cp /usr/src/linux-image-2.6.20.19-rt_1_i386.deb
>> config/chroot_local-packages
>Are you sure this has the modules for squashfs and either aufs or
>unionfs (depending on and consistent with the livehelper settings)?
When compared with the log of some newer runs (see below), it looks like the
squashfs-modules-2.6.18-5-486 and unionfs-modules-2.6.18-5-486 were not
included due to --linux-packages "none" during the lh_config.

New runs:
After doing the following in an empty directory, I get a binary.img file.
lh_config -d etch -b usb-hdd
lh_build 2>&1 | tee log

In order to boot the from the USB device I have to do this:
dd if=binary.img of=/dev/sda
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mv /mnt/i* /mnt/initrd.img
mv /mnt/v* /mnt/vmlinuz
vi /mnt/*cfg             (edit names to initrd.img and vmlinuz)
umount /mnt
syslinux -f /dev/sda1

Without all this, the system complaints:
Could not find kernel image: /vmlinuz.-26

At one run, I included --bootloader grub, but that didn't even give me the
grub promt.

My last run from an empty directory was like this:
lh_config -d etch -b usb-hdd
cp /usr/src/linux-image-2.6.20.19-rt_1_i386.deb config/chroot_local-packages
lh_build 2>&1 | tee log

The standard kernel boots ok after I made the above corrections. However the
modified kernel stoppes during the booting like this:

sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-4) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(initramfs)

Does anyone have any suggestion what to do from here?

Best regards,
Ren?