USB system with modified kernel and minimal software

Justin, thank you for your comments!

I've downloaded:
http://live.debian.net/debian-snapshots/live-helper_1.0~a29~20070917.124122_all.deb
and
http://live.debian.net/debian-snapshots/live-initramfs_1.102.2~20070917.110439_all.deb

I did not see any information about downloading lh_helper scripts, so I
followed the information at
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/05/31/create-your-own-live-linux-cd-or-usb-distribution.
This was the reason for my outdated version.

No binary image file is created when I try to include the modified kernel.
I followed Daniel's suggestions and in an empty directory I did the
following:
lh_config -d etch -b usb-hdd -p minimal --linux-packages "none"
cp /usr/src/linux-image-2.6.20.19-rt_1_i386.deb config/chroot_local-packages
lh_build 2>&1 | tee log

In the log file, no error seems to indicate a problem. Does anyone have any
suggestion?

Best regards,
Ren?