RAM usage

On 15/09/2007, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 11:18:09AM +1200, Angus McMorland wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've made a debian live CD to allow me to perform some modelling. The
> > machines I have available to play with have 2 GB of RAM, which is
> > normally a lot more than enough to run my work. However, debian live's
> > tmpfs (I presume) seems to be taking up about >1 GB of that RAM, which
> > (1) surprises me that so much is needed, and (2) doesn't leave enough
> > RAM for my modelling.
>
> First off, use a swap partition.

I can't touch the HDs of these machines - they're used for teaching by
day. That's one of the benefits of the live CD approach in this case.

> And then again, if you have lots of changes in your ramdisk, try to put
> them in a mounted media elsewhere. Or see if they are really needed.

I think there should be very few changes to the fs needed - I want to
be able to "cvs co" some scripts from my server, run them, and scp out
the single resulting short ascii file. All the rest of the operations
require only RAM.

--
AJC McMorland, PhD Student
Physiology, University of Auckland