Catch22 - Thanks

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 04:58:39PM +0200, Damian Lubosch wrote:
> Thomas H. George wrote:
> > I am trying to setup static ip addresses running either the etch or the
> > lenny gnome iso's - the problem is the same for both.
> >
> > If, at the boot prompt, I enter
> >
> >     install netcfg/disable_dhcp=true
> >
> > or
> >
> >     vmlinuz install netcfg/disable_dhcp=true
> >
> > I get the message, "Could not find the kernel image: vmlinuz"
> >

> The kernel name to use is "live".
> You can set static IP before building the CD in this config file:
> livecd/config/binary in section
> LH_BOOTAPPEND="ip=eth0,192.168.0.1,255.255.255.0,192.168.0.254"
> (IP,Netmask,Gateway)

My goal is to build a customized CD so this is just what I needed.

> > On the other hand, if I simply hit enter at the boot prompt the system
> > boots up very nicely to the gnome desk top.  Then
> > Applications/Debian/Apps/System/Network Administration opens a window
> > asking for root's password.  Neither sudo bash or  bash alone work.  If
> > I go to a console window Ctl/Del/F1 and enter sudo bash I immediately
> > get the root prompt.
> >

> See Ben's posting for this.

Right

> > I confess that I do not fully understand sudo.  I am the only one
> > allowed to do any administrative functions on the computers of my home
> > network so until now I have just become root for this work and a normal
> > user for everything else.
> >

> Sudo lets a user execute commands with root's rights. If you really need
> a password for root you can simply create one. On the shell you create a
> root-shell "sudo bash" and then you can set your root-pw with "pwd". Of
> course it will vanish after reboot.

I started with the iso to get a start on setting up a wireless
connection.  Since sudo is intended to allow limited administrative
access it never occurred to me that I would be allowed to change root's
password.  As you pointed out, I could and did change root's password
and with the new password I was able to alter the network setup and set
static addresses.

Thanks for the help.

Tom George