mount /var from hd during booting & disable autologin

Hello!

Few days ago I posted about making additions to the automatically
generated fstab.
I am not really sure how to use "persistent" to achieve following.

I want to build a web-server which runs its system from CD (with "toram"
option) but stores its data on /var. Thus I need to exchange the live-cd
/var by my harddisk's /var during boot. I want to have persistent log
data and a persistent database, of course. I plan to using an
empty/prepared/just-for-this-purpose harddisk. I can even copy all
contents from the live-cd-var to hdd-var, no problem. I just want it to
take the hdd-var after one-time initialization.

The easiest way would be just to add to the auto-generated-fstab
/dev/sda1 /var auto 1 0 but I do not know where to add it.

Other topic I am trying to "trick out" is the auto-login. I found in
Gmane's archives that it gets set in /etc/inittab. But where is it set?
I want a proper login please. (It'll be a server)

I searched alreade through the lists and could not find anything useful
for me. I just want a bit less automatism ;-)

Have a nice day,
Damian