USB and Persistence

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 12:09:44PM -0700, Joe Ruddy wrote:
[...]
> When I boot and choose the persistent option I am exited out to the Busy Box
> prompt with the error
> /bin/sh can't access tty; job control turned off.
[...]

I was going to ask a similar question, but I can add this: When the
initramfs looks for a boot drive, it grabs the first one containing a
supported filesystem image in /live - and for some reason, using
persistent seems to copy said image to the live-rw partition, causing
the initramfs to try to use that partition for the rest of the boot
process.

Tis can be circumvented by using the 'live-media=' kernel option, but
doing that causes other problems for me: With something like
'persistent live-media=/dev/hdc', I get many I/O errors on hdc and
then the following:
> Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom
> Done.
> run-init: nuking initramfs contents: Directory not empty
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
and at that point, it obviously stops.

Right now, I work around that by keeping a simple script in my home
directory that mounts my persistent partition as the onlt writable
drive in the root union:

> #! /bin/sh
> DEV=/dev/hda1
> mount $DEV /mnt/cow||exit 2
> rm /mnt/cow/etc/mtab
> unionctl / --add /mnt/cow
> unionctl / --mode /cow ro

It works, even though it is not the most elegant solution.
If you you should happen to find out off-list how to do persistence
properly, I'd really appreciate it if you could share your insights
here.

Good luck,
 -Juergen