Custom Kernel

I am having a problem when booting using a custom kernel.

Here are the settings I am using..
Unionfs
Squashfs
Syslinux as bootloader
Etch
Live-initramfs

I am using linux-image-2.6.18.8 and have applied the unionfs
patch(linux-2.6.18.8-u3.dff) and the squashfs3.2-patch (for linux-2.6.18).
I have placed the live-initramfs_1.91.5~2464_i386.deb package in
chroot_local-packages along with my kernel package. (taken from
debian-snapshots on live.debian.net)

I get as far at trying to load the root filesystem.

Begin: Mounting root filesystem
End_request: I/O error, dev fd0 sector 0

Unionfs: new lower inode mtime (bindex=1, name=etc)
Sits here for 10-15 seconds and I can see it accessing the cd rom drive.

Then I get

BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer deference at virtual address
00000000

Print eip:
00000000

*pde=00000000

Oops: 0000 #1
Preemt SMP

And a lot of other stuff.  If you need the other stuff I can write it all
down and email it as well.

I have been trying to make this work for over a week, trying so may
differnet things.

I really hope you can help.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Ruddy