custom kernel

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 04:33:42PM +0300, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> Why do you need a plain (rather than squashfs) filesystem?
> Is it because your custom kernel does not support squashfs?
                ^^^^^^^^^^^

First of all this is not "my" kernel. If we need "custom"
kernel, we should think about "any" kernel. Even standard kernel
(from http://kernel.org/) not support squashfs (and what about
unionfs?). Of course, You can compile kernel modules by Your
own.

But once again repeat: most often (and may be only) You need
custom kernel to use not open source driver for raid controller
available in binary form only. In this case You should use
binary kernel from redhat or suse. Yes, even in this case You
can take appropriate kernel source and compile kernel modules,
but this is addition work.

****   Vladimir Stavrinov   ******
*******   vs at inist.ru   *******