Debian Live and the installer

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 08:48:25AM +0100, Chris Lale wrote:

> > however, as said, it's not of much use anyway since the pool generation
> > is not completed.
> >

> OK. Thanks.

Here is way I have tested and used to get Debian Installer along
with Debian Live:

1. Make bootable live usb stick as usual.
2. Get installer's kernel and initrd images:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/vmlinuz
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/initrd.gz

rename it to vmlinuz.di and  initrd.di and put onto usb stick

3. Add to syslinux.cfg new menu item:

LABEL installer
        kernel vmlinuz.di
        append initrd=initrd.di root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=32768 DEBCONF_PRIORITY=low

4. Put any valid debian iso image(s), containing needed by You
packages and all debian installer components (e.g. first
official etch CD) onto usb stick or hard disk. Images names
should be *.iso

5. Boot from usb and at boot prompt type "installer"

6. Install debian system as usual.

In my case, I have two partitions on my usb stick: one for live
media and other for iso images. But this is no matter, You can
put it onto any hd or usb partition.

--

****  Vladimir Stavrinov  ***