Debian Live 1.0~a13-1 Completely Broken

Vladimir Stavrinov wrote:
> First of all, broken dependencies:

>   live-package: Depends: live-helper but it is not going to be
>   installed
>   E: Broken packages

this has been caused by the fact of '1.0~a13' beeing considered smaller
than '1.0' by dpkg. however, fixed in svn.

> Then lenny image don't booting, crying "panic" and "can't open
> scripts/live". This is because of missing live-initramfs in
> lenny.

be patient. live-initramfs has 9 of 10 days already passed to enter
lenny. in the meanwhile, use http://live.debian.net/debian/ to include
it, as written on the list three times already, as documented in
/usr/share/live-helper/examples/sources/live-backports.

for a *temporary* situation of a package in *unstable*, this is totally
acceptable that it requires a bit of user attention.

> The same is for etch. And there are no options for backport
> as it was for old version of live-package.

nope. if you build an etch image, you get by default casper in it. only
if you *manually* set LH_INITRAMFS to live-initramfs (or re-use a sid
configuration), you get into a problem *iff* you didn't include the
backports repository. this was also explained several times on the
mailinglist already.

> sid is missing squashfs-modules.

...and unionfs. as a workaround, you can build them with m-a yourself.

> Thus, there are no way to build and booting
> image for all distributions: sid, lenny and etch.

only sid is broken. and sid is, remember, the development tree of
debian.people using it should be aware that there can be problems and
should know how to fix them on their own.

> By the way, why there are no option to use 2.6.18 kernel
> instead of 2.6.21 one for building sid image, if there are
> squashfs-modules for 2.6.18 version?

because 2.6.18 is not in sid.

> And finally just now I have build and boot etch image with
> LH_INITRAMFS=casper including casper in packages list: no
> "panic", root filesystem mounted, but init can't not finish,
> because of missing user casper as well as user "user" (default).
> It is still possible to complete boot with "username=root" as
> kernel parameter. And this is only way to get running system.

you don't need to add casper to the packages list.

i've never heard about this init thing. are you sure that this is a real
error and not one importend by unclean builds/configs? anyway, it would
be nice if you can give more information about that if you wont to get
something solved.

> Bad story.

i don't think so.

Email:          daniel.baumann at panthera-systems.net