Dialog on a feature of netboot=nfs:// cifs:// http:// https://

Greetings,

> ------------------------------
> Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 17:28:45 +0100
> From: "Alex Owen" <r.alex.owen at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Dialog on a feature of netboot=nfs:// cifs:// http://
> 	https://
> Cc: debian-live-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
>
> Ther linux kernel can mount an NFS share or CIFS share as the root
> partition... I'm not aware that one can "mount" http or https ???

Yes on the NFS and CIFS, I was just wanting to consolidate the syntax on
the boot param. I think it is  netboot=nfs nfsroot=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/path
now and I would like it to be netbooot=nfs://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/path ,
combine the two parameters. Then I would like to add the ability to mount
filesystems of http:// and https:// .

> I did write a patch (I think on mailing list/bug tracking system)
> which modified the "toram" feature which might help towards what you
> want.
>
> The toram feature (last time i looked which was some time ago) copied
> the root partition from  cdrom to memory. Then mounted it from memory.
> My patch truied to modify that behavior to  so that rather than
> copying from cdrom one could copy from NFS, http, tftp... etc.
>
> Is that the sort of thing you were wanting?

Yes, indeed that may well allow what I desire. :) Could you please post
again, I think Daniel Baumann also has asked that, but I am slow to catch
up on email.

Thx.

> Alex Owen
>
> On 24/05/07, RJ Ent. <rjent at rjent.pair.com> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I would like to request a feature for netbooting, namely to have the
>> ability be able to get the netboot folder via http or even https.
>>
>> Also then to consider the netboot param to act as examples below:
>>
>> netboot=nfs://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/path
>> netboot=cifs://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/path
>> netboot=http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/path
>> netboot=https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/path
>>
>> I am unsure how much work this would take but I think having the ability
>> to  make a boot cd (or pxe setup or whatever) and just type in the web
>> address that you wanted it to continue booting from. Then at the server
>> you could just tune the netboot folders shared out via http. Not to
>> mention a secure session via https.
>>
>> Ok ideas and petition for the feature welcome.
>>
>> Thx.

>> RJEnt. - Linux Solutions & Consulting

RJEnt. - Linux Solutions & Consulting