Persistant Cows

I was wondering...
Does anyone have a good solution for keeping changes to a Debian Live
system persistent? I see that Casper offers a few options, the most
tempting being a casper-rw partition on the USB stick that I use to
boot Debian. The only problem is that it is flash storage and may not
deal well with being written to all the time.
I tried to create a jffs2 partition and add that to the unionfs
manually (unionctl / --add /mnt/root/cow && unionctl / --mode /cow ro);
the problem here is that a reasonably big jffs2 file system is rather
slow - too slow to be really useful.
Eventually, I will probably try to procure an HD based USB drive, but
in the meantime, I am a bit puzzled. Has anybody found a good way to
work around this while keeping the whole system portable?

Thanks,
 ~Juergen