Fwd: language of liveCD

Hello

I would like to share with you my way of doing it.
This parameter appear with Live-Helper, and apparently it doesn't work ..yet
!
If you append locale=it_IT.UTF-8 to the kernel parameters, it works but
partially ! Only a small part of the LiveCD will be translated.
As I need a LiveCD in French, I proceed in the following manneer :
- In a partition with at least 1 Gb of free space, I create a folder, let's
call it root_cd/
in this folder, I launch :
lh_config
-> this create the debian-live/ folder and the config/ folder under with
default config files.
Then I edit the config files according to my need. In the file image, for
the parameter
LIVE_BOOTAPPEND , I put : "=locale=fr lang=fr keyboard=fr xkeyboard=fr quiet
splash" . May be I don't need all this parameters but just to be sure :*)
(I am not an expert, just a simple user ... I proceed by try and
errors(ssssss))
Btw : the minimal and mini config seems to be broken ... I look quickly
today and I think there is an error in the script in the hooks/ folder

When it's Ok, I go back to the debian-live folder, and I launch :
lh_build
This will build an image.
When the script is finish, I delete the binary.iso file .....
Then I copy my resolv.conf file to the chroot folder:
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf  /root_cd/debian-live/chroot/etc/resolv.conf

Then I mount special folder /proc and /dev
mount -t proc none /home/debian-live/chroot/proc
mount -o bind /dev /home/debian-live/chroot/dev
just to allow me to have access to the network.

Then I chroot on the chroot folder:
chroot /root_cd/debian-live/chroot /bin/bash

First thing to do, rebuild the locales tables and choose the default
language, this must be done each time:
dpkg-reconfigure locales

Then set the value of some important variables. I want french, change the
value to fit your need : this must be done each time:
export LANG="fr_FR@euro"
export LANGUAGE="fr"
export LC_ALL="fr_FR@euro"

To be sure to have it in the LiveCD, I create also a file environment in the
/etc/ folder :
LANG="fr_FR@euro"
LANGUAGE="fr"
LC_ALL="fr_FR@euro "

Now you can install/remove everything you need/want. If you have done
correctly the previous action, the messages from apt-get should be in your
language, without any error from perl or what ever.
Don't forget that some packages like iceweasel or openoffice have separate
package for the translation.

When it's done, first umount the specials folders
umount /proc
umount /dev

then exit the chroot environment.

So now go to the hidden folder .stage/
and delete all the files starting by binary_
rm binary_*
but not the others files ....
then go back to debian-live/ folder and launch the binary creation:
lh_binary
then you should end up with a iso image in your language ...

As I said, I am not an expert, so feel free to correct me, if I am wrong or
if you know a beter way !!

Hope it's help

ericc

On 4/2/07, Kai Hendry <hendry@iki.fi> wrote:
> On 2007-03-29T18:23+0200 Matthias Kirschner wrote:
> > AFAIK this parameter is not working at the moment, so you should not set
it.

> What's happened here?
>
> I noticed this now in my etch builds, where I swear it was working
> before. :)
>

> initrd=/live.386/initrd.img boot=casper username=user hostname=debian
BOOT_IMAGE=/live.386/vmlinuz locale=it_IT.UTF-8