Starting fluxbox withOUT a DM

I mistyped the Subject line!  Should have been Starting fluxbox without
a DM.
Silly me.
Maybe I'm wrong on this but doesn't .xsession only work if you first
issue: startx?  I had hoped to avoid any interaction on the part of the
user.

Editing .bash_config seems to be fine.  The .Xauthority file is created
properly anyway and fluxbox starts.