Debian Live on a USB memory stick?

On 4/19/06, pr0f3ss0r1492@yahoo.com <pr0f3ss0r1492@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The issue is not about creating a data partition, that's trivial.
>
> The issue is about creating a data partition that does not wear out your
> memory stick in a few days.
>
> Imagine writing all the cache files, bash login scripts, desktop configs
> on that partition all the times?
>
> How long would it take to make your usb stick unusable?
>
> A portable distro-on-a-stick should have a mechanism to manipulate data
> on ramsidk and then, once per session, back up the changed data, on
> either a file or a partition, and the restore them at the next boot.
>
> Now, correct me if I am wrong, the only usable distro that does that is
> DSL and that involves cloops. If you can do that with SquashFS, I'd like
> to know how.

Puppy2 (currently in development) "Saves ramdisk (your working files)
to Flash drive every 30 minutes, so extending lifetime of flash media
(by restricting the number of writes)."
(quoted from http://www.puppyos.com/development/howpuppyworks.html )

That same page also tells that Puppy2 is using SquashFS.

Latest Puppy2 shapshot is currently
http://www.puptrix.org/alpha/puppy2alpha-snapshot-11apr06.iso
2cc1b657dfe231fc9d441ae2af210d95 puppy2alpha-snapshot-11apr06.iso
(From http://www.puppyos.com/news.htm )

--
Markus Laire