Re: Enhancing lintian performance for large source packages

On 2024-05-23 13:20, Russ Allbery wrote:
Andrius Merkys <merkys@debian.org> writes:

Personally, I have never found either of those checks useful to me as a
packager.  They're both a source of constant annoying false positives and
have never once alerted me to a problem that I didn't already know about.
I have considered, in the past, arguing that Lintian should remove them
entirely given how expensive they are and how prone to false positives
they are, but if there were some way that I could easily just opt out (and
of course assuming that ftp-master never rejects based on those checks),
that would relieve a lot of the pressure.

I raised a similar issue in the past and since then, "very-long-line-length-in-source-file" has been marked experimental.

As far as I understand, this means the vast majority of people using Lintian won't see it at all. I thought this also meant the check wasn't ran at all, but it seems I'm wrong and it only means the tag is hidden. As such, I would certainly support removing it altogether.

As for checks in Lintian::Check::Files::SourceMissing, I've found those useful in the past (especially for missing JS source code) and I would be against removing / making them opt-in.

In any case, thanks a lot for the work on profiling, I think it's super useful!

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Louis-Philippe Véronneau