Re: uscan + lintian

Jeff:
> The following watch file works fine:
>
> version=4
> opts="pgpsigurlmangle=s/$/.asc/" \
> http://sf.net/gscan2pdf/gscan2pdf-(.+)\.tar\.xz debian uupdate
>
> apart from lintian complaining:
>
> [...]
>
> Looking at the verbose output of uscan, it does seem to use https on the
> redirected URL.
>
> If I change http to https, then the watch file no longer works.
>
> If I rewrite the watch file not to use the redirector, but to use https,
> then it also works, but lintian complains that I should be using the
> redirector.
>
> Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.

Indeed; uscan special-cases the "http://sf.net/"; URL and completely
rewrites it.  I think the best solution would be for uscan to also
accept "https://sf.net/";

 * Would you please file a bug against uscan (from the devscripts
   package) asking them to also accept https://sf.net/ ?

Technically, we can special-case it in lintian to skip the warning here.
 But I prefer not giving mixed signals about whether a "http" url is
secure or not.  Among other because not all tools have the special magic
for rewriting the URL to Debian's sourceforge redirector.

Thanks,
~Niels