Re: lintian 2.5.34 performance results over the first 3 days

On 2015-07-26 13:11, Niels Thykier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lintian 2.5.34 has run on lintian.d.o for 3 days (6 runs) now.  The
> results are very promising so far.
>
>  * It is at 49% reprocessed.  At this rate, we can expect it to finish
>    after 13 runs (6.5 days).
> [...]

Lintian finished last night during the 12th run (6 days), which was 1
run earlier than I estimated.  :)

 * All of the performance logs for 2.5.34 are now available at [2].

The munin graphs show that:

 * We consistently use 150% (of 200%) CPU.  This is /mostly/ split in
   ~100% user and 50% system time.
   - Though we do see occasional spikes of +20% (and up to 100%) I/O
     wait.  This seems to have been worst in the latter part of run 6
     and the early part of run 10.
   - Load average seems to stay consistently under 3.5.

 * Memory usage (still) generally stays under 1.5 GB except for run 3
   where it climbed to 2.6GB.
   - With this peak, we commit lindsay.debian.org to over 8GB of memory
     (with it only having 6GB + 5.5GB swap)
   - We seem to be sharing enough memory to avoid swapping considerably,
     but if we push it too high, we will start to see failing forks.
   - Note that we do *not* seem to be using any particular high amount
     of memory in run 10 (where we had high I/O wait), although we seem
     to hit a limit for kernel size caching.

I have not checked the log of the latest 6 runs yet.  I will file bugs
for the known CPU performance issues (from my previous mail) and any new
ones I might find.

Thanks,
~Niels