lintian 2.5.34 performance results over the first 3 days

Hi,

Lintian 2.5.34 has run on lintian.d.o for 3 days (6 runs) now.  The
results are very promising so far.

 * It is at 49% reprocessed.  At this rate, we can expect it to finish
   after 13 runs (6.5 days).
   - 2.5.33 took ~8 days to do the same.
   - This puts at an average of ~350 more packages per run.  Caveats
     apply[0].
 * Memory consumption is consistently below 2.6GB[1]
   - Generally we seem to stay ~1.2GB
   - We had a "bad" usage Friday for 4 hours at 2.6GB
     (Most of this is presumably Perl not giving memory back)
     - I suspect gcc based on where time was spent.
     - If we can solve this, we can probably afford using another
       unpacker job (we are currently running with 2).

Future work
===========

Last night's run included libreoffice and that revealed:

  processed libreoffice/1:4.4.4-1 successfully (time: 4162.291s)
  processed libreoffice/1:5.0.0~rc3-1 successfully (time: 6579.308s)

These numbers are ~70 minutes and 1h + 50 minutes respectively. A quick
look at the numbers for the latter.  Its the usual suspects, though a
few things stand out:

 * checks/cruft (source) takes 69% of the total group check time (~35
   minutes).
 * checks/files (libreoffice-dev-doc) takes 22.5% of the total group
   check time (11 minutes).

 * coll/file-info (libreoffice-dev-doc) takes 25% of the total unpack
   time
 * coll/md5sums (libreoffice-dev-doc) takes 25% of the total unpack time
   - These two are likely scheduled at the same time, so with only 2
     parallel jobs, these can trivially stall everything else for 15
     minutes.

You can find the original performance logs at [2].  Libreoffice was in
run 6 (and gcc-5 was in run 3).

~Niels

[0] Caveats:

 * Each run processes 1 to 16 groups of 512 sources + binaries.  The
   last group always overrun the 4 hour limit.
   - has happened twice (gcc-5 + libreoffice) for 2.5.34.  For
     libreoffice, we had 5 "fast" groups followed by the 6th group
     with libreoffice.
   - I do not have the numbers for 2.5.33.
   - In summary, fortunate scheduling can make a world of difference.

 * Each run also processes newly uploaded packages.  IOW, there will be
   a significant noise ratio when "heavy" packages (gcc-5, libreoffice
   etc.) is uploaded.
   - My numbers do not track/account for that.

[1] https://munin.debian.org/debian.org/lindsay.debian.org/

Notably:
 * https://munin.debian.org/debian.org/lindsay.debian.org/memory.html
 * https://munin.debian.org/debian.org/lindsay.debian.org/cpu.html