Re: Running Lintian on non-Deb distribution

Peter Åstrand <astrand@cendio.se> writes:

> Thanks for the hint. Creating a "run-lintian" script, as suggested by
> the HackersGuide, helped somewhat, but now I get:

>  Can't locate AptPkg/Config.pm in @INC

> I guess i need a perl-AptPkg package or similar, which is not available
> on CentOS.

> So, I'll probably give up on this for now, but thanks anyway.

You will at least need all of Lintian's dependencies, which I suspect
include a bunch of Debian-only packages (at least Debian-only at the
moment).  Other ones that are probably not packaged for CentOS at the
moment include hardening-includes, intltool-debian, libdpkg-perl, and
libparse-debianchangelog-perl (although the last would be fairly trivial
to package, I think).

All of this would run with some work, but the level of work will vary.

Also note that (not listed in the package dependencies because it's
essential) Lintian uses dpkg during the unpack process, so you will need
dpkg installed regardless to run Lintian.  (Therefore, getting dpkg-source
available so that you can build the package with dpkg-buildpackage isn't
really an additional burden.)