Re: Policy 3.9.4.0 upload target of 2012-09-18

On 2012-09-17 00:09, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Well, clearly my plan to do this a couple of weeks ago didn't actually
> work, so new plan.  I'm planning on uploading Policy 3.9.4 Tuesday evening
> (2012-09-18).  My hope is to then start working on documenting multiarch.
>
> Sorry about the delay.

Yay! I, for one, am looking forward to being able to read whether "pkg"
implies "pkg:{native,any,$arch}" or not... XD

> For Lintian folks, here's the upgrading checklist for this release:
>
>      2.4
>           New _tasks_ archive section.

Added in master.

>      4.9
>           `build-arch' and `build-indep' are now mandatory targets in
>           `debian/rules'.

The tag for mandatory targets is (fatal) auto-reject, so I am inclined
to leave this unfixed in Wheezy/sid for now.

>      5.6.26
>           New section documenting the `Vcs-*' fields, which are already in
>           widespread use.  Note the mechanism for specifying the Git branch
>           used for packaging in the Vcs-Git field.

I guess this means adding a bunch of "refs" and maybe fixing #681769.

>      7.1
>           The deprecated relations < and > now must not be used.

I guess we should start checking shlibs files for obsolete relations as
well?

Bumped obsolete-relation-form-in-source to serious in master.

>      7.8
>           New `Built-Using' field, which must be used to document the
>           source packages for any binaries that are incorporated into this
>           package at build time.  This is used to ensure that the archive
>           meets license requirements for providing source for all binaries.

No op or do you want a heuristic for guessing if its absent?
Build-Depends =~ /-source/ might be a reasonable starting guess.

>      8.6
>           Policy for dependencies between shared libraries and other
>           packages has been largely rewritten to document the `symbols'
>           system and more clearly document handling of shared library ABI
>           changes.  `symbols' files are now recommended over `shlibs' files
>           in most situations.  All maintainers of shared library packages
>           should review the entirety of this section.

Sounds like no op except possibly adding/updating references...

>      9.1.1
>           Packages must not assume the `/run' directory exists or is usable
>           without a dependency on `initscripts (>= 2.88dsf-13.3)' until the
>           stable release of Debian supports `/run'.

No op?

>      9.11
>           New section documenting general requirements for alternate init
>           systems and specific requirements for integrating with upstart.

No op?

>      12.5
>           All copyright files must be encoded in UTF-8.
>
> Note that the change to make build-arch and build-indep mandatory is not
> RC for wheezy.

debian-copyright-file-uses-obsolete-national-encoding bumped to
"serious" (i.e. "E") and added ref to 12.5 in master.

~Niels