Re: coordinator for rc2/sid upload needed, ENOTIME

On 2011-03-25 03:31, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So much for "uploading to sid after a week of the rc1". I haven't had enough
> time to get to the lintian items on my TODO list and it doesn't seem that I
> will have time soon.

There has been silent without you!

> It is therefore needed that somebody finishes fixing some of the major
> issues and makes an upload. I would personally just go and upload to sid
> (but I wouldn't have included non-fixes either.)

I believe "we" should finish them :), but yes we probably need someone
to nag/follow up on the status.  Secondly we should probably define
which issues/bugs are "major" (or should be fixed) for 2.5.0~rc2.  For
that it would be nice to have an idea of how long we wait until ~rc3 (or
final 2.5.0) and when ~rc2 should be "done".
  If we plan "rapid" release cycles (a.k.a. "Release early release
often") we need to postpone more fixes but it is also easier justifiable.

Anyhow, potential "major" issues remaining for a ~rc2 upload.

#618921 - menu (icon) tags still have inconsistent output
#619487 - sounds like a lot of FPs (missing feedback from python people)
#615516 - FP unneeded-build-dep-on-quilt

Bugs I may just happen to fix because I cannot resist:

#619075 - trivial (except "the the" I suppose)

As I understand Adam, he would very much like that #618921 is fixed
before ~rc2.  I do not mind postponing #615516 by simply lowering the
certainty/severity of this to possible/minor or possible/pedantic (right
now it is certain/normal).
  Then there is #619487, which I suspect the python people would like to
have fixed in ~rc2 or the first release after.  If we are going for an
~rc2 upload "very soon" (this weekend or early next week) we can justify
postponing it.  Though I could drop by #d-python and poke a bit around.

Timeline
========

What do you think of finishing up ~rc2 by Sunday and then release
sometime Tuesday (to give people two days to review changes/test etc)?
Mind you, I would prefer not to do the actual release (at least not
alone), so this plan assumes one of you are available Tuesday.

Between Sunday and the actual release we would limit the master branch
to only regression fixes, spelling mistakes (incl. data/spelling) and
possibly new tests.  (So I will probably go back to the infra branch
after Sunday :P)

How do that sound?  Also, any suggestions for ~rc3 (e.g. content or/and
timeline)?

> Anyhow, just dropping a note.

Much appreciated. :)

> P.S. #619287 is not a bug in dpkg or lintian. Don't use debuild (or is it
> git-bp? one of them is setting -I).
>
> Cheers,

I guess that is true, but it would just be a matter of time before it
happened again[1].

[1] The lintian tarball in the archive does not ship these files.