Re: Minor coding and commit style things

On 2011-01-07 04:38, Russ Allbery wrote:
> A couple of quick notes on recent commits:

Hey,

> * Lintian's coding style is all over the map and different in different
>   files, so there isn't much to stay consistent with, and I don't think
>   the exact details of the coding style matter.  So take this just as a
>   personal preference, and feel free to ignore it.  But I do personally
>   prefer a space between if, for, while, and similar keywords and the
>   parenthesis that contains the expression.

Personally I do not feel strongly either way, so I do not mind following
this code style.  Perhaps we could spent a bit of time defining the
style we want lintian to be written in?
  With the work we are doing in the infra-513663, then a reasonable
amount of code will be touched.

> * For the Git commit messages, the best practice in the Git community is:
>
>       Short summary of commit
>
>       Extended description as a paragraph with multiple sentences, as long
>       as needed to explain the change.
>
>   with the first line shorter than 50 characters or so and not ending in a
>   period, and a blank line between that line and any subsequent
>   description.
>
>   This too doesn't really matter, but it will make the summary of commits
>   shown in, for example, git log --pretty=oneline or in the mail message
>   from annotated tags read more nicely.

Some of those log messages look directly awful!  Sorry, my bad!

~Niels