Minor coding and commit style things

A couple of quick notes on recent commits:

* Lintian's coding style is all over the map and different in different
  files, so there isn't much to stay consistent with, and I don't think
  the exact details of the coding style matter.  So take this just as a
  personal preference, and feel free to ignore it.  But I do personally
  prefer a space between if, for, while, and similar keywords and the
  parenthesis that contains the expression.

* For the Git commit messages, the best practice in the Git community is:

      Short summary of commit

      Extended description as a paragraph with multiple sentences, as long
      as needed to explain the change.

  with the first line shorter than 50 characters or so and not ending in a
  period, and a blank line between that line and any subsequent
  description.

  This too doesn't really matter, but it will make the summary of commits
  shown in, for example, git log --pretty=oneline or in the mail message
  from annotated tags read more nicely.