Re: Fixing indentation in our source files

* Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>, 2011-09-09, 11:10:
Jakub pointed out that a some of our source files have inconsistent. He also produced the attached document that visualize the different indentation styles in our code ("Tttttttt" is one tab and "s" is a space).

So would anyone object if I sed s/\t/ /g'ed our code (with manual fixup where needed). It could (and probably will) give issues applying any existing patches (on the BTS).

Patches in the BTS should be a big issue. You just need to remember to do the same transformation on them before applying. :)

If we're going to do a mass indentation fix and take the hit for that, it
would be tempting to standardize on an identation level as well.  I think
we have some files that are using an eight-space indent.

Yes, a few files have a "cperl-indent-level: 8" declaration. On the other hand, some of them have also contradictory "vim: ts=4" declaration. :(

Personally I'd prefer 4*space indentation everywhere. I could live with tabs, but tabs mixed with spaces make me cringe.

--
Jakub Wilk