Re: [RFC] Checking for empty packages

Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@debian.org> writes:

> I recently conducted a quick analysis to spot empty packages in the
> archive [1], some of these packages were fixed or will be in a short
> time frame, so I'm happy it helped maintainers to fix grave bugs.

> I was suggested to implement a lintian check for this issue [2], so I'm
> asking you how feasible my approach could be, or if you have better
> solutions to achieve this goal. Here is how I got my results [3], and
> how I'd like to implement such check.

> A package is declared empty if all of this conditions are met:
> * package does not ship files outside of /usr/share/doc/$pkg
> * package does not have subdirectories in its /usr/share/doc dir
> * package does not have files in its /usr/share/doc dir but common
>   ones (copyright, changelog*, README, AUTHORS, NEWS, ...)
> * package does not have a "whitelist" word in its description:
>   - meta
>   - transition
>   - dummy
>   - dependency package
>   - empty package
>   - virtual package

This looks like a good approach to me.  There's a similar test in Lintian
already to determine which packages are metapackages, but it's currently
used in a much more limited way.  I think Lintian excludes anything that's
named like a documentation package, but I like your approach better.

> I'm aware this could lead to false positives. In my test, preliminary
> list of packages included some packages which didn't declare themselves
> as "meta packages", but I think they should warn users about their
> "meta" status, so they can be eventually removed.

Probably would be good to accompany this with a patch to devref
recommending a way to denote such packages.