[RFC] Checking for empty packages

Hello Lintian hackers!

I recently conducted a quick analysis to spot empty packages in the
archive [1], some of these packages were fixed or will be in a short
time frame, so I'm happy it helped maintainers to fix grave bugs.

I was suggested to implement a lintian check for this issue [2], so I'm
asking you how feasible my approach could be, or if you have better
solutions to achieve this goal. Here is how I got my results [3], and
how I'd like to implement such check.

A package is declared empty if all of this conditions are met:
* package does not ship files outside of /usr/share/doc/$pkg
* package does not have subdirectories in its /usr/share/doc dir
* package does not have files in its /usr/share/doc dir but common
  ones (copyright, changelog*, README, AUTHORS, NEWS, ...)
* package does not have a "whitelist" word in its description:
  - meta
  - transition
  - dummy
  - dependency package
  - empty package
  - virtual package

I'm aware this could lead to false positives. In my test, preliminary
list of packages included some packages which didn't declare themselves
as "meta packages", but I think they should warn users about their
"meta" status, so they can be eventually removed.

Waiting for your thoughts and suggestions (please keep me CCed) :)

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/02/msg00154.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/02/msg00164.html
[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/02/msg00166.html

--