Re: RFC: further parallelisation (dependency-based collection and check scripts)

Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> writes:

> With the last set of changes to Lintian::Command::Simple, it is now
> possible to use the dependencies-based version without regressions.

> So, I was wondering if these changes could make their way into the next
> release.

> The only change we previously determined as a requirement I haven't made
> is renaming Lintian::PDepMap. I intend to do this while waiting for
> further comments.  Further speed improvements will be achieved once we
> rewrite most of the Lintian namespace as previously discussed, so that
> for example checks are not delayed until the overrides file is
> collected.

I haven't reviewed the patch again, but I also don't feel a lot of need to
do so after the extensive discussion; I'm fairly sure it's fine, and
whatever remains we can modify later.  Thank you for all of your work on
this!

As for putting it into the next release, I'm okay with that, but my
inclination is to release what's currently in Git since it's all bug fixes
and relatively minor changes (and a whole ton of them), and then commit
this, Adam's work on *.changes as first-class objects, and the manual
rewrite and then stabilize that version as 2.4.0.  Does that sound okay?
It seems like it would be a good idea to clean up all the random false
positives and accumulated minor stuff from the BTS in a separate release
from possibly destabilizing large changes.

I didn't get anywhere near as much time to work on Lintian today as I was
expecting, but I can do an upload tomorrow morning if that sounds
reasonable.