Re: Bits from the Lintian maintainers

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 08:11:58PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> The best news about Lintian is that Raphael Geissert has joined the team
> as an additional Lintian maintainer.  Raphael [...] has done a ton of work
> on as varying of areas as [...] spelling checks, [...]

Just wanna let you know that I'm very happy about those new spell
checkers in lintian. The new lintian found several spelling errors in
man pages and POD of my packages, both from upstream and from
packaging.

Thanks!

One point though:

I have an upstream developer who comes from Derby, England originally
and says that some of the accused misspellings[1] are not very common
English but nevertheless correct English -- and of course that he
won't change them in his documentation.

  [1] http://lintian.debian.org/maintainer/abe@deuxchevaux.org.html#dphys-config

In particular he says that "usefull" and "authentification" are
correct spellings.

So maybe these warnings should be downgraded to the informational
level, and the appropriate lintian rule could be called
uncommon-spelling-in-manpage or so instead.

Or are lintian overrides the better way to handle this?

P.S.: I'm not on the list.

		Regards, Axel
--
Axel Beckert - abe@deuxchevaux.org, abe@noone.org - http://noone.org/abe/