Re: [SCM] Debian package checker branch, master, updated. 2.2.0-9-g084c116

"Adam D. Barratt" <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> writes:

> Raphael mentioned on IRC that he wasn't overly keen on the use of green
> for pedantic tags in LetterQualifier as it was already being used for
> other severity/certainty combinations there.
>
> The fairly predictable reason I chose green is simply that it's the
> colour I used for the default output format - as it was unused there -
> and I erroneously assumed that the colours in use by LetterQualifier
> mapped to those used by the default format (normal and important map
> exactly, minor mostly does and wishlist and serious don't).

I think using magenta for serious/certain is a little odd and think red
would have been fine there, but on the other hand, that doesn't really
help since magenta feels wrong to me for pedantic.  The colors are
generally following a color spectrum with the shorter wavelengths
indicating less serious problems, except that cyan and green are reversed.
(Which leaves magenta as an odd case anyway.)

Blue would be the logical thing to use, but I agree that the contrast with
a black background is horrible.  I remap what xterm thinks of as blue to
help address that, but we can't assume that everyone has my xterm
configuration, even though they should.  :)

I used to use bold blue as a workaround, but it does make it stand out.

Green feels like the best of a bad set of options to me.  (I wonder how
widespread 256-color support is now?  I keep thinking about finding some
documentation for that and adding it to Term::ANSIColor.)