Re: Ubuntu-specific lintian checks

Scott James Remnant <scott@ubuntu.com> writes:

> I'd like to add some checks to lintian that are Ubuntu-specific.
> However they don't just apply to Ubuntu-modified packages, but to all
> packages in the Ubuntu archive - even those just sync'd from Debian.
>
> The idea being to be able to use piuparts to detect those packages that
> we sync from Debian that we _do_ need to modify to match our policy.
>
> The particular test is that, in Ubuntu, the only package that should
> install to /etc/udev is udev; all other packages should install
> to /lib/udev (and /lib/udev/rules.d)
>
> Also I'd like to make sure all files in /lib/udev/rules.d match the form
> NN-[a-z_-*].rules
>
> However these checks would be wrong on Debian, AIUI.

Hm.

If they should be enabled by default on all packages in Ubuntu and
disabled by default on all packages in Debian, it's going to be tricky to
do this without requiring you to maintain a modified version of Lintian.
But I'd really rather you not have to do that.

One possibility is that, if you can maintain the additional checks as a
separate checks script and *.desc file, you could put those files into a
separate package.  If you install a new check script and *.desc file into
/usr/share/lintian/checks, Lintian will automatically pick them up.  You
could then provide them in a lintian-ubuntu package and have people on
Ubuntu install that package for the additional Ubuntu-specific checks.
This will require some coordination and tracking of changes to the Lintian
core infrastructure, since we're in the process of moving around the core
libraries into a better namespace and refactoring, but I hope it won't be
too bad.

You will have to redo any data reading that you need to do those checks
even if they'd fit in easily somewhere else, which is a drawback, but
we've been trying to encapsulate data collection in Lintian::Collect so
that different check scripts don't have to keep retrieving the same
information.  That should help.