Re: two more tags

Raphael Geissert <atomo64+debian@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been thinking for a while that the values in the checks/*.desc
> files should be overridable (or whatever the right word is, as the spell
> checker complains), i.e. in this case if the Windows devel file is not
> under usr/share/docs emit a W tag, but if it is under usr/share/docs
> emit an I tag instead (but of course using the same tag name).

I'm not sure whether we'd gain all that much over just using two separate
tags, which is what we do now when we want to issue the same tag with
different severities in different circumstances.

> I know this is very tricky because of the way lintian-info behaves, as
> the other parts of the code can be modified to cope with the possibility
> of a change.

lintian-info actually doesn't care about the severity of the tag at all
and would happily cope with this without modification.  It's more the code
inside lintian that issues tags that would need modification to specify an
optional severity and certainty to change the defaults.

We could do that, but there are some advantages to having each tag have a
known severity and certainty that can be discussed in the long
description... although I guess we could deal with that in other ways.

> There are many other cases where such a feature would be very useful,
> experimental versions of some checks is an example.

It lets us reuse the same tag name in different contexts.  I'm not sure
how much of a gain that is, though.