Re: ancient man-db version causes false positives

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 10:35:12AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Carsten Hey <c.hey@web.de> writes:
>
> > now that lintian bugs me more agressively in the PTS, are there any
> > changes that false positives caused by a ancient man-db version
> > running on lintian.d.o finally get fixed?
> >
> > See http://lintian.debian.org/maintainer/c.hey@web.de.html for one
> > example, there are many more.
>
> Some of them are fixed in the current Git version of Lintian, but not
> that one as I've never seen that before.  What causes that error and
> how can we tell whether to skip it?

Sorry for being imprecise, I thought that you are aware of this issue
since Rhonda already reported it months ago. There is no error in
lintian itself, the error is in the lintian setup on gluck.

lintian calls "(man --warnings -l $foo > /dev/null) 2>&1" to check
whether man reports errors in this man page. This works quite well with
an correctly working /usr/bin/man, but on lintian.d.o an old or badly
configured version of man is running which causes UTF-8 related warnings
although the man page is correct. In pl/deborphan.1 SK£ADNIA is polish
for SYNOPSIS but man thinks ADNIA would be a file or something like this
because of the incorrectly working man.

The reason for this errors could be a old version of man-db or a old
version of groff (or something completly different like non-UTF-8
locales). A combination of man-db/bpo and groff-base/stable could also
be the reason since lintian does not call man/stable with the option
--warnings but it does use this option with man/bpo or man/sid and there
were some UTF-8 related changes[1] between groff in stable and groff in
testing.

Regards,
Carsten

[1] groff (1.18.1.1-15) unstable; urgency=low

   [ Forest Bond ]
      * debian/groff-base.mime: Use the utf8 device by default, as most
        modern systems use UTF-8 by default nowadays (LP: #174297).