Re: checks/scripts / checkbashsims updates

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 09:07 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> "Adam D. Barratt" <adam@adam-barratt.org.uk> writes:
>
> > Sorry to be a pain, but we've tightened this further in svn to
> >
> > 	'(?<![\$\(])\(\(.*\)\)'
> >
> > so as not to match constructs such as
> >
> > 	progress_size=$(((100 - $PROGRESS_STATE) / 3))
>
> What *is* this construct trying to catch, anyway?  dash supports things
> like $((4 + 5)), and if the above is also okay, I'm not sure when this
> would not be a false positive.

So far as I can tell, it's intended to be catching use of (( as a
synonym for let, instead of $((, for performing arithmetic expansion.
(The accompanying comment simply says "(( should be $((".)

The check was added approximately 18 months ago but unfortunately
there's no clue in the check in comment, which refers to other changes
made in the same commit. Julian?

Adam