Re: Usertagging bugs

Raphael Geissert <atomo64+debian@gmail.com> writes:

> Often when looking at the BTS page for lintian I find it difficult to
> find a bug to work on without reading the bug reports themselves trying
> to find out what actually needs to be changed.

What criteria would help you decide what you could work on?  In general,
it's going to be necessary to read the bug to figure out the details of
the problem, although in some cases the title should be improved to make
matters clearer.

> So what about usertagging the bugs?
> One way to do it is take the path of the affected file in lintian and =~
> s,/,-,g
> And if it requires some major change then also add another usertag
> describing that feature.

That's a ton of user tags, and I'm not sure that really helps organize
matters.  That's (inconsistently) used in the descriptions right now, and
once upon a time I went through and updated a bunch of them, but I stopped
largely because it wasn't clear to me that it was really useful.  Would
this really help you find things?

If we try usertags, I think it would work better to classify on some other
direction, like quantity of work or whether it's an improvement to an
existing test or a completely new test.