Re: Ideas wrt debconf templates checks

On Sat, 2008-07-05 at 15:07 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > As far as I can see, such a test does not currently exist. It would be
> > fairly simple to add, assuming that the following methodology would make
> > sense (on a per-binary package basis):
> >
> > for each of config, preinst, postinst, prerm, postrm
> > 	find uses of db_input, db_get, db_set and record
> > 	  the associated question name
> >
> > for each template in templates
> > 	check name against the list from step 1
>
> This has two obvious problems:
>
> - db_register can be used to generate other questions with different
>   names that use a template that otherwise appears unused.

That one's easily solvable.

> - It's not uncommon to use variables or more complex things to refer
>   to a question name.

That, on the other hand, isn't. My query would be whether it's a common
enough issue to prevent us adding the tag, even at "info" level.

It also breaks in the presence of a perl config script, but so do the
vast majority of the existing debconf checks in lintian. :-/

Adam