Re: New check: ahead-of-time-standards-version

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Raphael Geissert <atomo64+debian@gmail.com>
> writes:
>
>> Because there were maintainers who had set a standards version which was
>> higher than the $current one (e.g. 3.8.0.0 in a package uploaded two
>> years ago). And now that 3.8.0 is $current, the package appears not to
>> checked for the new standards.
>
> This really doesn't seem useful to me, sorry.  I'm not willing to apply
> it, although I won't veto it if someone else sees it as useful enough to
> warrant the maintenance.

The thing is that such packages are completely _wrong_ and should not be
distributed as is. The more the number of packages Debian provides, the
challenge of maintaining an overall good QA level becomes harder.

Now that I think about it, this tag won't require much maintenance on the
test suite, as it doesn't print any extra information. So if a package has
a Standards version ahead of its time the tags. file needs to be modified
only once (unless the date on the most recent changelog entry is changed,
of course).

So if it won't require much maintenance on the test suite side, and doesn't
require any other kind of maintenance (not even keeping the hard coded
standards-date relation list) I don't see any reason not to include it.

Writing a separate tool to perform this kind of check sounds like a waste of
time (spent checking all the packages that are already being checked by
lintian) and resources that isn't needed.

So please reconsider adding this check to lintian.

Cheers,
--
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.