Re: New check: ahead-of-time-standards-version

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Raphael Geissert <atomo64+debian@gmail.com>
> writes:
>
>> This new check will cause more work whenever a new standards version is
>> known by lintian (because it requires updating either the control and
>> changelog files, or the tags file).
>>
>> I've seen a couple of packages which would trigger this tag, so it is not
>> something I just imagined.
>>
>> I set Type: error because it _is_ really bad to do that.
>
> I don't understand why we would ever want to check for this given that we
> already have newer-standards-version.

Because there were maintainers who had set a standards version which was
higher than the $current one (e.g. 3.8.0.0 in a package uploaded two years
ago). And now that 3.8.0 is $current, the package appears not to checked
for the new standards.

> What specific problems are you
> expecting to find?

Packages that say they were checked for a given standards version that
didn't even exist at the time they were created.

> I assume that you intend the tag to only be relevant
> for lintian.d.o (it's really meaningless before an upload), but I'm not
> sure what anyone would do with the lintian.d.o output from it.

It will be very useful for lintian.d.o but might also prevent someone from
uploading a package with a terrible mistake.

Since the tag is only emitted when the standards version is known, it is
safe even when a new standards version exists but an old lintian is used as
it will only emit the newer-standards-version tag.

Cheers,
--
Atomo64 - Raphael

Please avoid sending me Word, PowerPoint or Excel attachments.