Re: Some patches

Raphael Geissert <atomo64+debian@gmail.com> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Actually, I don't believe we should apply this.  I already did this
>> once and added it back in version 1.23.43.  I think we should wait for
>> lenny to do this.

> The thing is that php4 _won't_ be shipped in lenny. This change should
> actually, IMHO, been made since php4 was removed from unstable/testing.
>
> Scripts specifying a php4 shebang should be checked for compatibility
> and then changed to php5.

lintian (1.23.43) unstable; urgency=low

[...]

  * checks/scripts{.desc,}:
    + [RA] Re-add php4-cli as a valid interpreter for those who want to
      maintain stable compatibility.  Thanks, Thomas Goirand.

If someone wants to try to tackle making the dependency checking smarter
so that php4-cli is acceptable as an alternative but not a sole
dependency, that would be great, but just not allowing it at all causes
false positives for legitimate use cases, such as a php5-cli | php4-cli
dependency to help backporters.