Re: Problem while checking for php-cli

Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> If I were you I'd just depend on php5-cli and be done with it.  The
>> package is for Debian unstable after all and one can always change the
>> dependencies in a backport for other versions of Debian.

> I always get that kind of reply. I agree in general to it, as it's true
> that the goal is to upload in SID.

> However, this package is currently installed and maintained on hundreds
> of servers running Etch and that's the reason why I try not to have
> things being different when running under SID or Etch. This is quite a
> nightmare to manage otherwise. I guess that you understand understand
> that we have imperatives of productions.

> Anyway, I do understand why you are requesting such thing, and I'll
> remove all dependencies to php4 for the SID upload.

Well, I do agree that it's not really necessarily the best option.  :/
I think Lintian is mostly at fault here.  I really did mean "this is what
I'd do," rather than "this is what you should do."

> Well, if I did add this dependency, it's because of the lintian warning
> that was requesting it. I was really surprised to see it as well, I
> thought it was a new thing in SID, so I've added php-cli and tried
> again. I think you'd better change the text message to make it more
> clear that only php5-cli is requested and nothing else, so nobody will
> do the same mistake that I did.

Er... that's strange.  I believe you that it's suggesting that, but I
can't figure out how or why.  Lintian doesn't have any knowledge of a
package named php-cli that I can see.

windlord:~/dvl/debian/lintian/checks> grep php-cli *
scripts:                tag('php-script-but-no-php-cli-dep', $filename);
scripts:                tag('php-script-but-no-php-cli-dep', $filename);
scripts.desc:Tag: php-script-but-no-php-cli-dep
scripts.desc:Info: Packages with PHP scripts must depend on a php-cli package such as

It's only mentioned in the tag name, where it's a generic reference to the
various versioned packages.

Anyway, I'll poke at it and see what I can do.  I think it may be best in
the short run for me to just add version 4 back to Lintian's known version
list so that you can use a php4-cli | php5-cli dependency.

I think that if you wanted to upload the package with a php4-cli |
php5-cli dependency, that's entirely reasonable.

Another possible option would be to ask the PHP developers to add a
Provides or (probably preferrably) metapackage for php-cli, which would
let PHP scripts that don't care about the version just depend on php-cli.
That's what most of the other packages in this situation (Ruby, Python,
etc.) do.