Re: Lintian and boot dependency violations.

Carlos Villegas <Carlos.Villegas@nuim.ie> writes:

> Hi, i'm working on improving the boot system as part of the google
> summer of code (1) with Petter Reinholdtsen as my mentor, and we are
> working on a script that would check init scripts correct order. As a
> result, problems with the boot process would be reduced and a faster
> parallel execution could be used as a bonus.

> Currently, there are some init scripts with a the wrong order like
> alsa-utils and udev which are placed after programs they are supposed to
> require: sysklogd and mountvirtfs respectively.

> I've placed the bug reports for alsa-utils and udev but if lintian would
> report when dependency information is missing, it would be easier to use
> a script adjust the order of the init scripts to ensure that these are
> met for each system (as dependency information would be available). With
> the advantage of making parallel execution possible.

It sounds like a possibly good idea, except that I have no idea what
dependency information you're talking about and Policy doesn't give me a
clue.  I do see some fields in the init.d skeleton file, but they're very
opaque to me, I thought they were only there for compatibility with Red
Hat and nothing in Debian used them, and I would have no idea how to fill
them out.

Is there some sort of existing policy document that explains all of this,
and to which we could code lintian checks?  If not, I think developing
such a document would be the first step.