Lintian and boot dependency violations.

Hi, i'm working on improving the boot system as part of the google summer of code (1) with Petter Reinholdtsen as my mentor, and we are working on a script that would check init scripts correct order. As a result, problems with the boot process would be reduced and a faster parallel execution could be used as a bonus.

Currently, there are some init scripts with a the wrong order like alsa-utils and udev which are placed after programs they are supposed to require: sysklogd and mountvirtfs respectively.

I've placed the bug reports for alsa-utils and udev but if lintian would report when dependency information is missing, it would be easier to use a script adjust the order of the init scripts to ensure that these are met for each system (as dependency information would be available). With the advantage of making parallel execution possible.

Please let me know your point of view about this issue and if you think that this dependency information could be added to lintian.

best regards,

Carlos
1.- http://initscripts-ng.alioth.debian.org/soc2006-bootsystem/