Re: Upcoming NMU; svn commit access for it is open for you

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 05:39:14PM +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 03:47:42PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > Yes, I have no interest in usurping all control over Lintian, that was most
> > certainly never the intention :) I ,,rescued'' it from one inactive
> > maintainer (hi Shaleh!), it's way past time for others to more actively chip
> > in. You will note that Colin Watson, Frank Lichtenfeld and many others have
> > already submitted gobs of patches, and I hate it when my business IRL is the
> > reason why those patches aren't reaching the archive in time.
>
> A way of collaborative maintainance that works well for some other
> packages, is apache's way: Have the 'Lintian maintainers
> <lint-maint@d.o>' as maintainer (or alternatively 'Josip Rodin and
> others <lint-maint@d.o>'); and you and probably Frank Lichtenheld and
> maybe Colin Watson too as Uploaders (= Co-maintainers officially, but
> meaning 'the current lint-maint group in this case).

Frank has done a great deal more work on lintian than I have recently,
but I'd be most willing to take part in team maintenance and allocate
more time for it. When I first started working on lintian, team
maintenance wasn't really in vogue, but it is now.

> What is needed is then only a policy on who and when and with the
> consent of who a release can be done. I suggest something like:
> - after 2 weeks of the latest not-uploaded patch is in subversion, there
>   is branced for a release
> - testing starts on it, at least two 'changes reviewed & testing OK'
>   reports from maintainers needed, and for example 2 days. Only real
>   bugfixes are accepted, and no veto's for any reason

I think all that's overkill, really; much simpler to find people on IRC
or mail the mailing list and say you want to do a release whenever it
seems worthwhile, and then do whatever testing feels appropriate. I
think everybody working on lintian has enough common sense for that to
work fine.

Also, I think lintian is small enough that there's no need to branch for
a release. Tagging the trunk at whatever revision you check out and
build should be quite sufficient.

> > Note also that this list is not limited just to Lintian -- with CVS/SVN
> > commit logs and/or diffs being sent to it, we can improve both tools at the
> > same time.
>
> You are referring to Linda I assume? It'd be best if both could be in
> the same repository then, as you can then commit one fix/improvemt to
> linda and lintian in one commit.

The problem with that is that you'd be starting out from very different
bases and working in different languages. For my part, I know that my
Python abilities are very weak. Separate commits are probably more
reasonable.

Cheers,